Hey savvy people! Today you are going to learn exactly how to start a WordPress blog. Blogging continues to grow as a viable way to make a full-time income from home. By following our step-by-step tutorial you can set up your WordPress blog in about 10-15 minutes. If you get stuck signing up or setting up your blog send us an email at SavvyKlines@gmail.com and we will gladly help!
Blogging has completely changed our lives and Brittany and I definitely regret not starting one sooner. Within eight shorts months of part time bloging, I was able to quit my job and work full-time from home!
The best part about starting a WordPress blog is that you can start making money for just a few dollars a month! Through affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, advertisements, and selling digital products you have unlimited income potential. There is no other business with such a low upfront cost and basically no risk. We reached out to Bluehost personally to get you the best price around so you can start your blog for as cheap as possible. You will also receive a free blog domain name for a full year through our link. Don’t wait on starting your blog because prices can change quickly.
We reached out to Bluehost personally to get you the best price around so you can start your blog for as cheap as possible. You will also receive a free blog domain name for a full year through our link. Don’t wait on starting your blog because prices can change quickly.
Click here to start your WordPress blog, then come back and continue reading our step-by-step tutorial.
We have had a phenomenal experience using Bluehost. Unfortunately, we tried using a different hosting company when we first started our blog. The first six months our blog was live we had far too much downtime, system errors, and headaches. If we had a tutorial like this when we started our blog, we would have partnered with Bluehost without a doubt.
Starting a blog allowed me to quit my job
Looking back we never realized the potential there is in starting a blog. We were nervous about me quitting my job and being able to make ends meet. Within a month after leaving my job I was able to land a remote digital marketing position using our blog as my “resume”. With our blog income and new digital marketing job, I was able to replace my income very quickly.
I am now able to work full-time from home, a true dream come true! I have the flexibility to work around life and not around a job. Since Brittany is a teacher and has summers off we can travel whenever we want (as long as there is the internet of course). If I had one word to explain how much our life has actually changed since starting to blog its FREEDOM.
No more waiting for your life to change
You get one life to live, really think about that for a minute. Are you truly happy with your life right now? Do you dread going into work on Mondays? Do you complain about life in general? It’s time to start thinking about making changes to create the life you desire. Today might be your first day to start creating that life.
Everyone has a passion or expertise they can create a blog around and start making money from. The money we paid to start our blog was made back very quickly and we believe you can do the same.
Bluehost is one of the top website hosting companies year in and year out since 2003. We personally negotiated a lower price and you can start your blog with them for as low as $2.95 a month (through our link only). As a bonus when you sign up for 12 months or longer hosting plan using our exclusive link you will receive a free domain name ($15 value). We highly recommend signing up for the 12 months hosting plan through Bluehost. It’s super cheap and you save a ton of money by signing up for at least the 12-month plan. If you want the best deal possible signing up for Bluehost’s 36 months plan will provide you with the lowest monthly cost. The longer the plan you sign up for the more money you save per month.
If you plan on making money with your blog, freelancing, using it as a side hustle or turning into a full-time business than paying for your hosting through Bluehost is an absolute must. Don’t try to cut corners from the start or it will come back to bite you in the butt.
Having a blog hosted through Bluehost allows you to run your own advertisements, affiliate campaigns, direct advertising, and more. You want to be able to build your blog on your own terms. Making money on free blogging sites like Weebly is extremely difficult and nearly impossible. Almost all advertising companies stay far away from bloggers on a free website because they do not view them as being professional like a self-hosted WordPress blog on Bluehost.
When it comes to blogging there are three basic steps:
- Register your domain name (your blog’s URL name)
- Purchase web hosting through Bluehost (so your site is run on their servers)
- Install WordPress on your Bluehost account (software used to create and run your blog)
- BONUS – Join our FREE Facebook group to network with other bloggers, drive traffic, and learn how to make money.
Choosing Bluehost for your WordPress Blog
The reasons for choosing Bluehost for your WordPress blog are endless. From our personal experience, we honestly believe Bluehost is the best in the business for your hosting needs as a blogger. Highlights for choosing Bluehost include:
- It’s super easy to use. ANYONE can start a WordPress blog quickly using our step-by-step tutorial below.
- Bluehost has fantastic customer support that is unmatched in the industry.
- You will receive a FREE domain name.
- You will be self-hosted which will enable you to monetize your blog.
- WordPress through Bluehost is 100% FREE.
- Bluehost is extremely affordable for everyone at $2.95 per month. The value is unbelievable!
- Bluehost offers a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied.
- You will look professional to readers, companies, advertisers and anyone else that comes to your blog since you will be self-hosted.
To get started you will need to head over to Bluehost. There are many hosting companies for you to choose from, but in our honest opinion, we believe Bluehost is by far the best. There is a reason why so many bloggers choose Bluehost for their web hosting needs. Click here to start your blog now.
How to start a WordPress blog on Bluehost
1. Register your blogs domain name
If you haven’t already, you can click here to start your blog and get your free domain name.
The first thing on your mind when starting a WordPress blog on Bluehost should be what you want your domain name to be. This step seems to trouble most people. We found this tool can help immensely in making sure your domain name is available along with all the social media accounts you might want as well.
We spent a good amount of time coming up with our blog name. We wanted to make sure it was short, easy to read, and portrayed a certain message. Our blog name is easy to remember, but many people still forget that “savvy” has two “v’s” in it. It’s also a fairly long URL, but that’s not that big of an issue.
By getting your domain name directly through Bluehost it makes the whole process very simple. When you do this you will receive a FREE domain name as long as you purchase 12 months of Bluehost web hosting. Since a domain name elsewhere will cost you around $15 it’s well worth it. With Bluehost the more months you sign up for, the lower your monthly price will be. The absolute best value is purchasing the 36-month plan.
We highly recommend getting your free domain name through Bluehost. Having both your domain name and hosting service through Bluehost simplifies things. Purchasing your domain from a separate company is just another thing you have to worry about down the road.
Starting out the “Basic” package is all you will need. It’s nice that Bluehost has upgrade options for down the road when you blog starts getting massive traffic and income.
2. Purchase website hosting for your blog
Starting a WordPress blog on Bluehost is very simple. Let’s first talk about the costs associated with blogging since keeping expenses as low as possible is very important.
The actual costs of starting a blog:
- Starting your blog the cheapest way possible while still being self-hosted is important. Choosing the “Basic” plan is all you are going to need starting out. It’s only $2.95 per month through our link (due upfront in full) if you sign up for the 36-month plan, which is an amazing price and the route we choose. If you sign up for the 24-month plan, then the price goes up to $3.95 per month. If you sign up for the 12-month plan, then your price is $4.95 per month. In all honestly $4.95 is still a steal for the opportunity to change your life forever! Plus you will still be getting a free domain name as long as you purchase at least the 12-month plan. If you are feeling a little uncomfortable committing to 36 months then go with the 12-month plan. If you purchase the 12-month plan your total price is going to be around $70 for a full year, a great price. If you are all about getting the most bang for your buck then the 36-month plan is going to be the best value in the long run.
- The basic plan is all you will need starting out. Disregard the Plus and Business Pro plan for now as they are more expensive. Down the road when your blog starts getting more traffic you can make the change and just pay the difference. Another reason why Bluehost is awesome.
- Domain Privacy Protection should deferentially be something you consider when it comes to starting your blog. For $0.99 per month ($12 a year) your contact information will be safe and secure. Choosing to opt out of this will cause your phone to get a bunch of random calls foreign countries, we know this from experience. Get the Domain Privacy Protection!
Don’t forget that signing up with our exclusive link you will get a free domain name when you purchase 12 months or longer of Bluehost hosting. Paying month to month is significantly more expensive and you risk losing your site altogether if you forget to make a payment. Your WordPress blog hosted through Bluehost will cost you around $70 a year, or around $120 for 3 years, absolutely incredible deals for what you are receiving!
3. Connect your domain name and your hosting
Skip this step if you are purchasing your domain name through Bluehost, which we highly recommend.
If you purchased your domain name through a separate company like Go Daddy then you need to connect it to your hosting account on Bluehost. Check out Go Daddy’s support page to help. If you have any trouble following these steps your best bet might be to give Go Daddy a call or chat with them via live chat.
How to modify your DNS Nameservers when you are using Go Daddy for your domain and Bluehost for your hosting:
- Log into GoDaddy.com.
- Next to Domains, click Manage.
- Select the domain names you want to modify.
- From the Nameservers menu, select Set Nameservers.
- Under Setup type, select Custom.
- Click Enter custom nameservers.
- Enter the custom nameservers your hosting provider gave you and click OK.
After completing those steps, you will need to add your domain name you bought as an addon domain to your Bluehost web hosting.
- Log into Bluehost.com.
- Click on Domains.
- Then click on Assign.
Following the steps above makes it very simple. If you do get hung up reach out to Go Daddy or Bluehost for support and they will help you through any issues you have.
4. Install WordPress onto your Bluehost account
You made it! Finally, the step you have been waiting for. You are almost done with our how to start a WordPress blog on Bluehost step-by-step tutorial. You are getting closer and closer to possibly changing your life forever.
This might be the easiest step in the whole process of starting your WordPress blog. Now it’s time to actually install the WordPress software on your blog. The best part is Bluehost makes installing WordPress on your blog FREE.
- Log into your Bluehost account.
- Access your cPanel (Bluehost will send you a link for this in your sign up emails).
- Find and click the images that say Install WordPress (shown above).
- Click on the WordPress icon on the next page located under Blogs.
- Click the Start button
- In the installation process, you will be asked to decide which domain name you want to install on WordPress. Select the domain you wish to use in the drop-down menu.
- Now Advanced Options will show up. This is where you will choose your username and password for your WordPress website. Make sure you create something very secure. Hackers love websites with “weak” usernames and passwords. Create a username and password that are a combination of different letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Select Install Now.
- Write down your username and password for reference later. Using an Excel document to track your passwords is a great life hack!
GET UP AND DANCE! You are now the proud owner of a WordPress blog. Now it’s time to buckle down and start making some killer content. We can’t wait to see your blog up and running!
Final thoughts about starting a WordPress blog
If you have signed up for Bluehost and get confused or stuck at any point feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com. We understand some people are more computer savvy than others.
We are so excited for you to start your blogging journey and create the true freedom you want out of life!
If you have never used WordPress before there is going to be a small learning curve. We found it best to watch YouTube videos to learn the basics. After you have been blogging for a month or so, things will start coming second nature to you. Don’t get frustrated as every new blogger is going to struggle a little out of the gates, just like we did. Stick with it! Talking from experience it’s totally worth it. Take your blogging serious, network, and have a love for learning something new each day. Join our free blogging group!
Making money blogging is not a get rich quick scheme. Blogging takes time and effort to reap the rewards. Once we took an affiliate marketing course though it changed everything! The strategies in this course allowed us to double then tripled our blog income within the first and second month after taking it. Some added bonus’s included in the course are learning how to drive traffic to your site, run your Pinterest account, and get accepted into big affiliate programs.
Some basic tips to help you get started on WordPress:
- To sign into your WordPress account, you will want to save the WordPress login information you receive via email from Bluehost.
- To customize the look of your site you will want to change your theme. To do this click Appearance then Themes. Search through the themes and select one that you like. Don’t worry your theme can be changed at any time.
- To create your first post click on Posts on the left-hand side once you are logged into WordPress.
- To add a page click on Page on the left-hand side.
- To add an image, click on Media on the left-hand side.
- To change what widgets show up in your header, sidebar, and footer go to Appearance then Widgets. In this section of WordPress, you will be able to select where you want certain widgets to show up on your site.
- To send newsletters and emails to your readers you can start by using MailChimp. We started with MailChimp then quickly switched to ConvertKit for a much more powerful email marketing platform designed for bloggers.
- To find plugin’s to use go to Plugins then click Add New. You can search for thousands of plugin’s to use on your site. Always make sure the plugin you plan on using has a good review and has been updated recently. The less plugin’s you use the faster your site will be in most cases.
- Genesis theme is always a popular choice amongst bloggers. Genesis is used on our blog, and we highly recommend it.
- Some MUST HAVE plugin’s we use include: SEO Yoast, Sumo, WP Sumsh, Jetpack, and Wordfence.
- To Learn how to start making money with your blog taking Making Sense of Cents is a must!
- Mess around and have fun learning WordPress.
Hope you enjoyed our step by step tutorial on how to start a WordPress blog on Bluehost!
Have you started a blog?
Do you use Bluehost for blogging?
What was your biggest “blogging mistake” when starting?
Beginners Blogging Checklist
Grab your FREE step-by-step checklist to get your blog up and running successfully!