Freelance writing has become one of the most popular professions in recent years. The digital age has opened new opportunities for aspiring authors, bloggers, and copywriters.
Content writing courses have become important for anyone trying to make their mark in the creative writing world.
But how do you get in on the action and become a well-paid writer?
Investing in a content writing course can help you learn the tricks of the trade and elevate your work. Having a certification also displays your dedication to potential clients.
I researched content writing courses and have a list of the best options you have to launch your writing career this month!
Here are my top 3 online writing courses that you should consider taking to get your freelance writing career off the ground:
- Best Overall + Free eBook – Freelance Write From Home
- Great Course & Community – Big Money Writer
- Quick Starter Course – Write to 1K
Content Writing Courses
Whether you’re looking to start a career as a freelance writer or enhance your business’s online presence through content marketing, plenty of content writing courses are available online to help you succeed.
These courses are designed to refine your writing abilities and enable you to produce high-quality content that resonates with your target audience.
So here are the best courses you should consider:
1. Freelance Write From Home
Course Cost: $297
Are you dreaming of a flexible career where you can work from the cozy confines of your own home?
Starting as a freelance writer can feel overwhelming, but my goal is to make that easier for you and give you the best guide possible.
My new Freelance Write From Home course is a crystal-clear roadmap, breaking the process into easy-to-understand steps- no more guessing or feeling lost in the vast sea of information.
I’ve included real-life examples and success stories from seasoned freelance writers. Their experiences will inspire you and give valuable insights into what works and doesn’t.
By the end of the course, you’ll have all the tools and knowledge you need to carve your path as a successful freelance writer.
So, if you’re ready to embrace the freedom of working from home, join me and leap into a fulfilling and lucrative career in freelance writing!
Check out this free eBook to give you a feel of freelance writing and what you need to learn to succeed.
2. Big Money Writer
Course Cost: $397
The Big Money Writer program is a 3-part program that will help you kickstart your career and use your content writing skills to potentially make $5,000 monthly.
The 3 parts are the: 40-Day Freelance Kickstart, Big Money Writer Community, and Big Money Writer Course.
The 40-Day Freelancer Kickstart is a super exciting writing challenge. They’ll give you a new writing task each day for 40 days, helping you become a better freelance writer 30 minutes at a time.
Need feedback on content? Want to make friends with people chasing the freelance writing dream? You’ll connect with others on the same journey in the Big Money Writer Community.
The Big Money Writer Course teaches you how to set up a freelance business writing content for others. You’ll learn how to get better at writing, find clients, and make a real career out of content writing.
3. Write to 1K
Course Cost: $225
Elna Cain’s “Write To $1k” course is the ultimate guide to kickstarting your writing career and making your first $1,000.
So, here’s the scoop on what you’ll get when you sign up for this amazing course:
First, once you enroll, you get lifetime access to all course materials, including future updates. Elna recently revamped the course with all-new info, so you’ll get the latest and greatest strategies.
The course is divided into 7 self-paced modules with over 50 lessons! You’ll learn the nitty-gritty of writing and get virtual training on popular tools and best practices.
Elna knows how important it is to stay on track, so she’s included specific exercises within each lesson to keep you focused and moving forward.
And hey, ready-to-use templates and email swipe copy are there to make your life easier.
To get a feel for what you’ll learn, Elna offers a FREE email course to get you started today!
4. Content Marketing Toolkit Course by SEMrush
Course Cost: $0
If content marketing is a crucial part of your marketing strategy (and it should be!), Content Marketing Toolkit is an awesome course that can help you out big time.
In Content Marketing Toolkit Course by SEMrush, you’ll get access to video tutorials and learn valuable tips from content marketing strategy pros.
They’ll show you how to make the most of Semrush’s tools, like magic wands for content marketers.
You’ll gain a solid understanding of how to use these tools to boost your content strategy and drive better results for your online marketing.
And here’s the icing on the cake – after completing the course, you’ll get a fancy Semrush certification! It’s like getting a badge of honor that shows you’re a content marketing strategy whiz.
It’s all about using Semrush to supercharge your efforts and get your freelancing career launched!
5. Technical Writing Course by Henry Harvin
Course Cost: $325.88 (membership cost)
Ready to level up your writing skills? The Certified Technical Writing Course is here to help you communicate technical stuff in a way that’s clear and easy to understand.
You’ll learn how to write different types of technical reports, like lab reports and research reports. We’ll cover everything you need to know about language, style, and content to make your reports top-notch.
The course is like getting nine courses in one! You’ll have 36 hours of live online sessions with a teacher who knows their stuff.
Plus, you’ll get to work on real projects and even grab an internship to gain hands-on experience.
When you finish, you’ll get a cool certification from Henry Harvin® and can use the site to branch out more with his Writing Academy.
6. Editing and Proofreading Masterclass (SkillShare)
Course Cost: Free trial for a month; then $32 a month or $168 a year
Looking to boost your freelancing game? SkillShare’s got your back with an array of top-notch courses.
One of the courses I recommend is the Editing and Proofreading Masterclass | Dominate Writing, Punctuation & Grammar.
It’s the perfect crash course in editing and proofreading for beginner content writers.
Think of this class as your key to unlocking grammar secrets, mastering proofreading tricks, and landing gigs. It’s like your launching pad for proofreading success.
The real kicker? You won’t just be reading – but diving into hands-on content creation projects to practice what you learn. That’s the secret to supercharging your proofreading and editing skills!
Here’s the scoop: 64 lessons, practical projects, and it’s like getting two courses in one (covering editing and proofreading). Plus, the lessons are short and snappy – no snooze-fest here.
Platforms For Content Writing Courses
Whether you’re an aspiring writer or a professional content creator, plenty of online courses are available to help you hone your skills and stay updated with the latest trends in the industry.
Here are some of the best platforms for content writing courses:
SkillShare is a popular online learning platform that offers students a wide range of courses. Skillshare has content writing courses designed for everyone- from beginners to experts.
Their classes follow a project-based approach, where students can complete their projects and get feedback from their instructors and peers.
Skillshare has more than 20,000 courses in writing and publishing that experienced instructors teach. The wide variety is one of the reasons why I prefer SkillShare as my course site.
Teachable is another popular online learning platform that offers a different learning experience.
In Teachable’s courses, instructors create multimedia lessons and can include quizzes, PDFs, videos, and images to enhance the course material.
Instructors can also host live office hours and Q&A sessions with students, creating a more immersive experience for online students.
Teachable has an extensive range of courses on content writing that cover topics such as SEO writing, copywriting, writing for the web, and more.
Udemy is one of the biggest online learning platforms that offer courses in various sectors, including content writing.
Many students prefer Udemy because it provides lifetime access to the course materials, which means you can access the course contents anytime.
Udemy courses come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, which guarantees the quality of their content writing courses.
The content writing courses on Udemy are affordable, and you can find a course on every aspect of content writing.
Hubspot is a customer relationship management (CRM) software company that offers a free online course that covers content writing.
This course covers almost everything one needs to know about content writing, such as copywriting, blogging, SEO writing, and social media writing.
The course provides interactive video lessons, quizzes, and examples of the best practices in content writing.
If you are looking for a reputable and comprehensive course on content writing, the Hubspot content writing course is an excellent choice.
LinkedIn Learning is an online learning platform owned by LinkedIn. It offers thousands of high-quality courses, including content writing courses.
The best thing about LinkedIn Learning is that the instructors who teach the courses are handpicked professionals who have years of experience in their respective fields.
These courses provide a more in-depth educational experience that teaches you everything about content writing, from the fundamentals to advanced topics such as content optimization and digital marketing.
Coursera offers online programs for individuals wanting to advance their career prospects.
These programs are designed and taught by renowned universities and industry professionals, and the content writing program provided by Coursera is an excellent choice for individuals who want to learn everything about content writing.
The program will cover the fundamental building blocks of content writing, such as grammar, punctuation, and syntax, to advanced writing techniques like persuasive writing and writing for the web.
What is a content writer?
A content writer creates written material for websites, blogs, social media, or other online platforms.
They are responsible for delivering high-quality, engaging content relatable to their online audience and ensuring their readers stay engaged.
A content writer can write on various topics, such as business writing, digital marketing, social media marketing, technical writing, creative writing, academic writing, and more.
What are some different types of content writers?
Here are some different types of content writers:
- Bloggers: Bloggers write articles for blogs covering a wide range of topics. They may maintain their own personal blogs or write for companies as guest bloggers.
- Copywriters: Copywriters focus on persuasive writing to promote products, services, or ideas. They often work in marketing agencies and create content for ads, social media campaigns, and more.
- Technical Writers: Technical writers create documentation and instructional content for complex products, software, or systems. It’s aimed at helping users understand technical concepts.
- SEO Writers: SEO (Search Engine Optimization) writers create content optimized for search engines, using specific keywords and techniques to improve its visibility on search engine results.
- Content Marketing Writers: Content marketing writers develop content that aligns with a company’s marketing strategy. They aim to engage and attract an audience plus build brand awareness.
- Social Media Writers: Social media writers create short, engaging social media marketing posts and update social media accounts to interact with customers and promote content or products.
- Business Writers: Business writers create reports, proposals, business plans, and other documents that convey complex information to stakeholders, clients, or employees.
How do I become a content writer?
Becoming a content writer requires skills, knowledge, and practical experience.
While there isn’t a single path to becoming a content writer, you can do a few things to start:
- Polish Your Writing Skills: Developing strong online writing skills is the foundation of content writing. It helps readers improve their writing quality and engage their target audience effectively.
- Discover Your Niche: Choosing a niche, like business writing, allows readers to focus their efforts and become experts in a specific area, making it easier to find relevant writing opportunities.
- Learn about SEO: Understanding SEO basics empowers readers to optimize their online writing content for search engines, increasing the likelihood of reaching a broader audience.
- Build a Stellar Portfolio: Creating a portfolio helps readers showcase their talent and expertise, making it easier to attract potential clients or employers.
- Look for Freelance Opportunities: Exploring freelance opportunities enables readers to gain valuable experience and build their reputation as content writers.
What skills will I learn from a content writing course?
A good content writing course will cover various topics, including writing different types of content, such as blogs, social media, emails, and press releases.
Some common skills you can expect to learn are:
- Writing Techniques: Mastering various writing techniques, like technical writing, to craft compelling and engaging content for readers.
- SEO Writing: Understanding and applying SEO principles to optimize content for better search engine visibility.
- Audience Analysis: Analyzing and catering content to the needs and interests of the target audience.
- Headline and Title Creation: Creating attention-grabbing headlines and titles that entice readers to click and read.
- Editing and Proofreading: Developing thorough editing and proofreading skills to ensure polished and error-free content.
How do I become certified for content writing?
Here are several ways you can gain certifications and credentials to demonstrate your skills and enhance your credibility as a content writer:
- Online Content Writing Courses
- Content Marketing Certifications
- Professional Writing Associations
- University or College Programs
- Content Writing Contests
- Portfolio and Experience
I suggest starting with my Freelance Work From Home course to launch your freelance writing career on a strong foot. You can download my FREE eBook here to get started today!
Do I need certifications to write content?
No, you don’t need certifications for online content writing.
Certifications can add credibility to content writers, especially new writers who don’t have the experience to back them up. Still, certificates aren’t the only way to show your skills and expertise.
What matters most in content writing is the quality of your writing, your ability to deliver valuable and relevant content to your audience, and your capacity to adapt to different writing styles and tones.
Building a strong portfolio with diverse writing samples and gaining practical experience can be just as valuable as a certificate, if not more, in establishing yourself as a capable content writer.
What is the best content writing course?
The “best” course can vary from person to person, depending on individual preferences and goals.
Take your time to research various options and choose the course that aligns best with your specific needs and aspirations as an online content writer.
My course, “Freelance Write From Home,” is an excellent choice to start your content writing journey.
It’s an online course that covers all the essential topics required to be a successful freelance writer.
The course provides valuable insights, actionable tips, and tools needed to get started as a content writer from the comfort of your own home.
Are there any free content writing courses?
Yes, free content writing courses are available online that can provide valuable insights and help you improve your writing skills.
While some of these free online courses may have optional paid upgrades for additional features or certificates, the core content is often accessible for free.
Here are a few platforms where you can find free online content writing courses:
- Skillshare: SkillShare offers free content writing courses taught by experienced professionals.
- HubSpot Academy: HubSpot offers a range of free marketing and content creation courses, including content writing, creating landing pages, and SEO content writing.
- Coursera: Coursera offers free courses from universities and institutions worldwide. You can find content writing courses from renowned universities available for audit at no cost.
- Google Digital Garage: Google offers multiple courses on digital marketing, including writing content and SEO with Google Digital Garage.
- LinkedIn Learning: LinkedIn Learning offers a vast library of courses for writing content, and some may be available for free through trial periods or institutional access.
- YouTube: Many content creators and writing experts share valuable content writing tips and tutorials on YouTube for free.
Free courses can be beneficial, but they may not always offer the same level of depth or interaction as paid courses.
A paid online course might have additional resources, personalized feedback, and certifications, which could be worth considering if you’re serious about a career in online content writing.
So be sure to weigh the quality and quantity of content you get in a free course vs. a paid course and how well each could impact your skills and amount of clients.
What is SEO writing?
SEO (search engine optimization) writing is part of your content strategy for creating content online for blogs, websites, videos, and more.
It’s about making your web content attractive to search engines like Google, so more people can find and read your online content.
The search engine shows you a results list when you search for something online. It helps your content appear higher on that list, so more people click.
To do this, SEO writers use keyword research for specific words and phrases, called keywords, that people often type into the search bar.
The content strategy is to sprinkle these keywords naturally throughout the online content to show search engines that the article is relevant to what people are looking for.
But it’s not just about keywords. The content itself has to be engaging and compelling content that’s helpful to readers.
Search engines want to recommend useful and trustworthy content.
So, SEO writers make it a part of the content strategy to write web content that is high-quality articles that answer people’s questions and provide valuable information.
Content creation also involves writing a catchy title and short description for the article. These appear in the search results; more people will click on your online content if they look interesting.
If you’re looking to boost your writing career, content writing courses are the way to go. They can make a real difference in your content creation and how you land freelancing writing jobs!
You’ll gain new writing skills and sharpen the content writing skills you already have. Plus, you’ll get to try out different writing styles and unleash your creativity.
Not to mention, you’ll learn all about digital marketing strategies, which is essential in today’s online world.
And the best part? You’ll build an impressive writing portfolio that’ll make potential clients take notice of your content marketing skills!
By taking courses like Freelance Write From Home, you’ll have more opportunities to write top-notch content that really connects with your readers.
So if you’re serious about taking your online articles to the next level, investing in a content writing course is totally worth it. Trust me; you won’t regret it!