Hey there everyone, The Sassy Pair – Britta and Vasili – here to bring you some easy holiday recipes! We’re a pair that helps beginners get over their fear or whatever factors are stopping them from starting to bake. We think that anyone with a mixing bowl, some flour, sugar, butter, and eggs can create something that their friends will love. We also frequently showcase baked goods from bakeries in the cities we live in that we highly recommend. Follow us on Instagram @tspblog to see those and all of our own recipes!
Usually we individually test recipes, shoot them, and write up our articles, since one of us lives in Phoenix and the other lives in San Francisco. We decided to try something new and challenged ourselves to create one sweet and savory recipe using the same key ingredient: goat cheese! This post features the savory recipe and the next one in this series will be a sweet recipe. We think goat cheese is the perfect ingredient to showcase for a holiday appetizer and dessert, and definitely made for some unique recipes that will impress your friends and family.
We also have a special holiday gift for you! An exclusive recipe for our famous gingerbread bars that isn’t posted on our website or anywhere else. All you have to do is click here to enter your email and get it sent directly to you. Happy holidays from TSP!
Herbed Goat Cheese and Cherry Puffs
Who doesn’t love a good herbed goat cheese spread with crackers? If you raised your hand, then you’ll have to wait for the next post with our goat cheese dessert recipe. Just kidding, you can adapt this recipe to suit your personal taste!
These goat cheese puffs are so tasty and look like something you would find at a formal cocktail hour. The puff pastry really takes these to the next level and goat cheese is just amazing on its own, if you ask me. Finally, the cherries bring a sweetness but also a tartness that really rounds out the whole flavor.
Puff pastry may sound fancy (and it is so I don’t feel the need to make your own), but I was able to find everything needed for this recipe at Trader Joe’s for about $12. I also only used half the box of puff pastry, meaning you can easily double the recipe and freeze the extras. I haven’t tried freezing them unbaked but it could work.
1 sheet puff pastry (1/2 box)
4 oz goat cheese, softened
1 tsp fresh thyme
Freshly cracked black pepper
1/4 – 1/3 cup dried tart cherries
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp water
- Allow puff pastry to defrost by leaving in sleeve on the counter for 30-45 minutes. Mix the thyme and black pepper into the goat cheese. Cover the cherries with boiling water and let sit for five minutes, then drain.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- Carefully unroll your puff pastry onto a floured counter. If the dough is still frozen or begins to crack, just leave it for a few minutes and come back to it until you can completely unroll it.
- Roll the sheet into a 12×12” square. Cut the sheet into 16 3×3” squares. The more accurate the squares are, the easier the next step will be.
- Working one square at a time, fold one corner to the opposite side. Make sure the triangle is sitting such that the seam edge is closest to you and the matching tips is pointing away from you. Along the two ends which aren’t the seam, make a cut towards the point but leaving room.
- Unfold the cut triangle. You should have an inner square that is held by a piece of dough on two points – the two points you matched together in the previous step. Fold the loose right point to the inner left point. Fold the loose left point to the inner right point, which is now just the right point.
- Repeat until you fill up the sheet, then freeze for 5 minutes.
- Brush each puff with egg wash. Place a teaspoon of the goat cheese mixture into the center of the diamonds, trying to keep as much inside the “border”. Place 3-4 cherries on top of the cheese.
- Bake until golden brown, about 18-20 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Make sure to follow us on Pinterest for more great recipes!
What’s your favorite holiday dessert?
Join our EXCLUSIVE food & drink email list!
Here we give you some of the best food & drink recipes on the internet!
So whether you want to save time, money or just get your hands on some some incredible recipes to try we have you covered!