Marriage is what we make of it, but sometimes we could all use a little inspiration. I mean let’s face it – we DID get a fair warning on day one when we said “for better or for WORSE.” It’s not all sunshine and rainbows like it was on your wedding day!
Taking a read of some marriage quotes is an excellent way to get your mind in the right space to make your marriage the best it can be. I mean, what’s the point in making sure you’re with your best friend every day if you don’t work to keep that happiness, well, happy?
Whether you need marriage advice for newlyweds, are wondering what makes a good marriage, or are searching for biblical marriage advice, you’ll absolutely be able to glean some inspiration and motivation from this collection of marriage quotes below!
And don’t forget how important scheduling regular date nights is for your marriage.
100 Marriage Quotes To Inspire
Funny Marriage Quotes
Some of these are such simple marriage quotes, but they speak such truth! Enjoy a chuckle with these!
1. “My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my love to marry me.” -Winston Churchill
2. “My parents only had one argument in 45 years. It lasted 43 years.” -Cathy Ladman
3. “Before marriage, a man will lie awake all night thinking about something you said; after marriage, he’ll fall asleep before you finish saying it.” -Helen Rowland
4. “It’s tough to stay married. My wife kisses the dog on the lips, yet she won’t drink from my glass.” -Rodney Dangerfield
5. “I love being married. It’s so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.” -Rita Rudner
6. “The best way to get most husbands to do something is to suggest that perhaps they’re too old to do it.” – Ann Bancroft
7. “The secret of a happy marriage remains a secret.” -Henry Youngman
8. “I’m going to get married again because I’m more mature now, and I need some kitchen stuff.” -Wendy Liebman
9. “You know you are in love when the two of you can go grocery shopping together.” -Woody Harrelson
“Marriage is…” Quotes
These quotes absolutely present a good definition of marriage. Even though it’s a little bit different for everything, some things run through each and every marriage!
10. “Marriage is not a noun; it’s a verb. It isn’t something you get. It’s something you do. It’s the way you love your partner every day.” -Barbara De Angelis
11. “Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.” -Oscar Wilde
12. “Marriage is the alliance of two people, one of whom never remembers birthdays and the other who never forgets them.” -Ogden Nash
13. “Marriage is getting to have a sleepover with your best friend, every single night of the week.” -Christie Cook
14. “Marriage is a workshop…where the husband works and the wife shops.” -Riaz Nassurally
15. “Marriage is like twirling a baton, turning hand springs or eating with chopsticks. It looks easy until you try it.” -Helen Rowland
Marriage Quotes About Love and Commitment
Anyone of these could be used as wedding quotes and sayings to make a wedding ceremony unique and touching. They might also teach you a thing or two about how to love and honor one another, well after your wedding day has come and gone.
16. “The real act of marriage takes place in the heart, not in the ballroom or church or synagogue. It’s a choice you make – not just on your wedding day, but over and over again – and that choice is reflected in the way you treat your husband or wife.” -Barbara De Angelis
17. “Happy marriages begin when we marry the ones we love, and they blossom when we love the ones we marry.” -Tom Mullen
18. “Marriage is a commitment for life. It is a permanent, lifelong relationship.” -Dada Vaswani
19. “Don’t marry the person you think you can live with; marry only the individual you think you can’t live without.” -James Dobson
20. “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” -Mignon McLoughlin
21. “Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.” -Simone Signoret
22. “To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.” -Lao Tzu
23. “Let the wife make the husband glad to come home, and let him make her sorry to see him leave.” -Martin Luther
24. “Marriage is a commitment- a decision to do, all through life, that which will express your love for one’s spouse.” -Herman H. Kieval
Teamwork and Strong Marriage Quotes
Ready for 10 secrets of a happy marriage? Read these 11 marriage quotes below and you’ll see what it takes for a marriage to work, and to withstand the test of time.
25. “I think long-lasting, healthy relationships are more important than the idea of marriage. At the root of every successful marriage is a strong partnership.” -Carson Daly
26. “For my parents’ generation, the idea was not that marriage was about some kind of idealized, romantic love; it was a partnership. It’s about creating family; it’s about creating offspring.” -Aasif Mandvi
27. “Finding good partners is the key to success in anything: in business, in marriage and, especially, in investing.” -Robert Kiyosaki
28. “It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
29. “What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are, but how you deal with incompatibility.” -Leo Tolstoy
30. “I say to my children, the reason that marriage – and having children – is so important is that it stops you thinking about yourself. The way to happiness is to give yourself to others and to think of others before you think of yourself.” –Terry Wogan
31. “Marriage is not just spiritual communion, it is also remembering to take out the trash.” -Joyce Brothers
32. “There is nothing nobler or more admirable than when two people who see eye to eye keep house as man and wife, confounding their enemies and delighting their friends.” -Homer
33. “Always remember that the most important thing in a good marriage is not happiness, but stability.” -Gabriel Garcia Marquez
34. “Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.” -Henry Ford
35. “Many marriages would be better if the husband and the wife clearly understood that they are on the same side.” -Zig Ziglar
Inspirational Marriage Quotes
The secrets of a good marriage are this: love each other, respect each other, and be honest with each other, always.
36. “It’s a good marriage because each of us is what we are, allows the other one to be themselves, and appreciates each other for the right reason. You know, it’s rare that you’ll find two people who don’t try to change the other person and let everyone be what they are.” -Peter Marino
37. “The institution of marriage works better when there’s a spiritual connection. If you’re marrying just for the sake of the woman, then you may lose interest in each other very soon. When we marry in the interest of the Holy Spirit with the intention of serving God and humanity, then it gives a much larger perspective.” -A. R. Rahman
38. “In every marriage more than a week old, there are grounds for divorce. The trick is to find, and continue to find, grounds for marriage.” -Robert Anderson
39 “When you make the sacrifice in marriage, you’re sacrificing not to each other but to unity in a relationship.” -Joseph Campbell
40. “The goal in marriage is not to think alike, but to think together.” -Robert C. Dodds
41. “Love is not something you feel. It is something you do.” -David Wilkerson
42. “Marriage: Love is the reason. Lifelong friendship is the gift. Kindness is the cause. Til’ death do us part is the length.” -Fawn Weaver
43.“Marriages are like fingerprints; each one is different and each one is beautiful.” -Maggie Reyes
44. “You don’t marry one person; you marry three: the person you think they are, the person they are, and the person they are going to become as a result of being married to you.” -Richard Needham
45. “Never love anyone who treats you like you’re ordinary.” -Oscar Wilde
46. “Love me when I least deserve it, because that’s when I really need it.” -Swedish proverb
Happy Marriage Quotes
If you take these quotes to heart and do a little “reading between the lines,” then these quotes will absolutely serve as tips for a happy marriage.
47. “The older I get, the less time I want to spend with the part of the human race that didn’t marry me.” -Robert Brault
48. “A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short.” -Andre Maurois
49. “We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.” -Sam Keen
50. “Once we figured out that we could not change each other, we became free to celebrate ourselves as we are.” -H. Dean Rutherford
51. “We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.” -Frederick Keonig
52. “Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that true friend in his wife.” -Franz Schubert
53. “Marriage doesn’t make you happy–you make your marriage happy.” -Drs. Les & Leslie Parrott
54. “Marriage provides the solace of worked-on friendship and the joy of being known profoundly.” -Imogene Stubbs
55. “A good marriage at age 50 predicted positive aging at 80. But, surprisingly, low cholesterol levels did not.” -George Valliant, MD, Harvard Medical School
56. “There is no greater risk than matrimony. But there is nothing happier than a happy marriage.” -Former British Prime Minister, Benjamin Disraeli
57. “Think not because you are now wed, that all your courtship’s at an end.” -Antonio Hurtado de Mendoza
58. “To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with.” -Mark Twain
Spiritual Marriage Quotes
These spiritual and Christian marriage quotes are sure to help just about anyone find a higher meaning to their marriage, and allow them to see the bigger picture that they’re working towards, past just the humdrum of each day as it comes.
59. “An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain.” -Proverbs 31:10-11
60. “As God by creation made two of one, so again by marriage He made one by two.” -Thomas Adams
61. “Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.” -Ephesians 5:24-45
62. “Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.” -1 Corinthians 13:4-6
63. “Do not fall in love with the face and body. Fall in love with the spirit, heart, and character.” -Anonymous
64. “He who is filled with love is filled with God himself.” -Saint Augustine
65. “Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.” -Proverbs 3:3
66. “And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.” -1 Corinthians 13:13
67. “Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.” -Romans 12:10
68. “The uncomfortable truth of doing what God tells us is this: it’s going to cost something – pride, time, money, bravery. But the rewards of stepping into the unknown far outreaches and outlasts the price you have to pay.” -Kristen Welch
69. “Christian marriage does not exist for the benefit of the two people in the marriage; it is for the benefit of the world, that God would be glorified in it. The main purpose of marriage is not the enjoyment of the two people who are married, the main purpose of marriage is to glorify Christ as we participate in the mission of God.” -Tim Suttle
You can review all of our favorite bible verses about money here.
Marriage Quotes For Tough Times
There’s nothing to sap the joy from life quite like marriage problems. Some days, they might make you ask “what is marriage all about?” Let these marriage quotes help you figure out what’s really going on, and put your best foot forward to understand, to you, what it means to be married, and why you need to fight for your marriage if needed. Don’t make life harder than it has to be.
70. “The opposite of loved is not hated; it’s indifference.” -Elie Wiesel
71. “Placing blame in marriage is like saying ‘your side of the boat is sinking.’” -Hank Smith
72. “Always strive to give your spouse the very best of yourself; not what’s left over after you gave your best to everyone else.” -Dave Willis
73 “When I am frustrated with my husband and feel like giving up on us, I have two choices. One: I can choose love and work on my marriage or, two: I can choose to love and work on my marriage.” -Darlene Schacht
74. “When you have children, your marriage is now more important, not less, because other people are counting on you.” -Sheila Gregoire
75. “Conflicts are not a sign you’ve married the wrong person. They simply affirm you are human.” -Dr. Gary Chapman
76. “To get divorced because love has died, is like selling your car because it’s run out of gas.” -Diane Sollee
77. “You don’t fall into love. You commit to it. Love is saying ‘I will be there no matter what.’” -Tim Keller
78. “Hatred stirs up dissention, but love covers over all wrongs.” -Proverbs 10:12
79. “Never close your lips to those whom you have opened your heart.” -Harville Hendrix
Beautiful & Poetic Marriage Quotes
If you’re looking for more wedding day quotes (writing your own vows, anyone?), or simply looking for a beautiful verse to put into a hand-made card for your spouse, then take a look at these.
80 “If I had a flower for every time thought of you… I could walk through my garden forever.” -Alfred Tennyson
81. “Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet.” -Plato
82. “Let there be spaces in your togetherness, And let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another but make not a bond of love: Let it be rather a moving sea between the shores of your souls.” -Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet
83. “What is Love? I have met in the streets a very poor young man who was in love. His hat was old, his coat worn, the water passed through his shoes and the stars through his soul.” -Victor Hugo
84. “Who, being loved, is poor?” -Oscar Wilde
85. “To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.” -David Viscott
86. “If you love a flower, don’t pick it up. Because if you pick it up, it dies and it ceases to be what you love. So if you love a flower, let it be. Love is not about possession. It is about appreciation.” -Osho
87. “Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.” -Aristotle
88. “A sure sign of a man’s strength is how gently he loves his wife.” -Anonymous
Hilarious Twitter Marriage Quotes
Take these for what they’re worth, and be ready for some belly laughs. These can absolutely be taken as humorous advice for newlyweds to fully understand what they’ve just gotten themselves into, or as simply a collection of relatable moments to which we can all say “honey, you’ve got to come read these.”
89. “Wife: It’s like every man on this earth has to share one brain.
Me: [can’t think of a good comeback because it’s not my turn to use the brain.]” -Grant Tanaka (@GrantTanaka)
90. “My wife wanted two kittens but I am the man in this house so we got two kittens.” -Justin Guarini (@JustinGuarini)
91. “Sorry. I was late because I had to find all the things that were in plain sight for my husband.” -Housy Wife (@wife_housy)
92. “Before I got married I didn’t even know there was a wrong way to put milk back in the fridge.” -Josh (@iwearaonesie)
93. “When I awake from the car accident in a full body cast, my wife was right at my bedside to let me know that childbirth is still more painful.” -Kent Graham (@KentWGraham)
94. “Establish dominance in your household by staring at your husband while you unplug his phone from the charger and plug in your own.” -Mommy Owl (@Lhlodder)
95. “Marry your true love so you can always wake up together and say, ‘Breathe the other way.’” -Walking Outside In Slippers (@WalkingOutside)
96. “Most of your time being married is spent saying, ‘I never heard you say that.’” -Sarcastic Mommy (@sarcasticmommy4)
97. “Call me old-fashioned, but I believe marriage should be between a person who hates pickles and another person who will eat that pickle.” -Kate Sidley (@sidleykate)
98. “Marriage is just texting each other ‘Do we need anything from the store?’ a bunch of times until one of you dies.” -Daniel Carrillo (@DanielRCarrillo)
99. “My husband unloaded the dishwasher so I guess now it’s time to have a parade for him.” -JPo (@Peauxtassium)
100. “Before you marry someone, sit next to them on the couch and try to watch your favorite show while they eat a bowl of cereal. If you still want to marry that slurping animal, congratulations – you have found your person.” -Lady Lawya (@Parkerlawyer)
You don’t need to be a marriage expert or have an advanced degree in psychology to improve your marriage. All you need is the right mindset!
We hope this list of 100 marriage quotes will help provide some inspiration and insight into what it means to work on improving your relationship with your spouse.