New and expectant parents: congratulations on your little bundles of joy! With that excitement of having a new baby joining your family also comes much in terms of new parental responsibilities…and “stuff.”
Yes, this new addition to your family means a lot of hard work, many sleepless nights, and unfortunately, a LOT of new expenses.
In fact, according to one recent estimate from Time, the cost of raising a child from birth to adulthood has reached nearly $235,000!
That said, you are absolutely going to want to save money wherever you can, right?
The good news is that there are a lot of companies who want to help you out by sending some free baby swag your way. Oh yeah, we are talking about baby freebies!
Here are 6 of the best free baby stuff you need to take advantage of:
How To Get Baby Freebies
Besides the obvious answer of “create a registry and let people buy things for you,” the next best way to get some totally free baby stuff is to create a registry at multiple stores (if it makes sense with your items!) and to sign up for various email lists and rewards programs that many baby product companies offer.
Where To Get Free Baby Stuff
Check out this list of easy and sure-fire baby freebies for new moms — you’ll be glad you did!
1) Create a Target Baby Registry – Get $50 worth of Coupons + Free Samples
This has got to be one of the best baby freebies currently available anywhere. Believe it or not, if you create your baby registry with Target, they will hook you up with $50 worth of coupons and handpicked free samples! Their welcome kit is so generous that it often even includes free baby bottle samples!
What if your friends and family don’t buy everything on your list? Well, Target’s got you covered: they will give you 15% off everything left on your registry after your baby is born. Now that’s SAVVY!
2) Free Enfamil Baby Formula and Goodies – Up to $400 Worth!
Here’s another extremely generous baby freebie, this one from Enfamil. To take advantage of this free baby stuff, all you have to do is sign up for a free program called Enfamil Family Beginnings. After you sign up, you will receive a bunch of goodies, including:
- Enfamil®and Enfagrow® Formula Samples – including 3 different kinds of formula and Nursette® bottles.
- Valuable “checks” – These are similar to coupons in terms of savings but are written and tailored to you. That means you get free baby samples by mail without surveys — a dream to new parents still getting time management under control!
- Special Offers – During your membership Enfamil will send you special gifts and discounts on birth announcements, birthday invites, etc.
- Expert Advice – Besides a newsletter chock full of expert advice and nutrition tips, you’ll be receiving As Your Baby Grows, an exclusive publication that, “tells the story of your baby’s journey from conception to birth.”
Learn more about this great set of freebies from Enfamil here.
*If your little one has a sensitive tummy and needs to use a different formula brand, don’t fret! While the specific rewards and perks may differ, many formula companies also offer discounts and freebies — just contact the company and ask!
3) Free Gerber Baby Gift Box of Baby Freebies
While taking advantage of this one does take a bit more work, this is one baby freebie that you definitely want to take advantage of! Gerber will actually send you a free 3-6 month onesie, a can of formula and a $2 coupon.
Traditionally only available at hospitals and clinics, now all you have to do is give Gerber a call at 1-800-408-7277 and ask them about the Gerber Baby Nutrition Kit.
4) Diapers, Diapers, and More Diapers!
What new parent can say no to free diapers? While offers of free diapers tend to come and go quickly, here some companies to keep an eye on for baby freebies and coupons:
- Honest Company – Offering a free “Discovery Kit” of diapers & wipes and/or a trial of personal care & home cleaning “essentials”. All they ask for is $5.95 to cover shipping.
- Pampers – While they are not currently offering free diaper samples, you might also consider signing up for the Pampers Rewards Program. With this program, you will earn rewards that can be used towards free diapers too (and a whole lot of other stuff)!
- Huggies – Maybe the most common competitor to Pampers, Huggies, too, has its own offerings of coupons and a rewards program! What makes their program unique is the ability to use the rewards on non-baby items, such as Gap gift cards — now those are some baby freebies for expecting moms that we can get behind!
- Seventh Generation – This company puts emphasis on making baby products that are “free and clear” of harmful chemicals and fragrances, so this is an especially good company to watch if your baby has sensitive skin!
- Babyganics – Here is another company focused on using fewer chemicals. You can find a $1 off coupon on their site, and be sure to keep an eye for larger discounts! You can even visit their customer service site and request coupons or samples by using their contact form, how neat is that!
5) Free Books from Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library
If you are in a community served by the Imagination Library, your child could receive a free book each month every month from birth all the way up to 5 years old.
The books available are a mixture of both fiction and non-fiction. Each month, your child will receive an age-appropriate book on various subjects. These include well-known titles such as The Little Engine that Could, The Tale of Peter Rabbit, Violet the Pilot and many, many more.
This post from thebalance.com does a great job of explaining this wonderful program in more detail (and gives a step-by-step on how to sign up). Otherwise, to learn more and to register your child today, visit imaginationlibrary.com.
6) Free $35 Welcome Box from Amazon Baby Registry
There’s nothing wrong with having TWO baby registries, right?
Like Target, Amazon is offering Prime members a great incentive creating a baby registry on their site – a $35 welcome box of awesome baby freebies!
In short, all you have to do is create your Amazon registry, spend $10 on any one of the items in your registry and then request your baby box once that $10 (or more) order ships.
See the Amazon Baby Registry Welcome Box FAQ for more info on how to claim your Welcome Box.
As you can see, there are some AMAZING baby freebies available to you as new parents! Don’t miss out on the chance to save money and get some great free stuff for your baby. Grab some of these great freebies for babies today!
7) Infant Gear Freebies With Coupon Codes
There are two places that regularly offer coupon codes with partner companies so that you can get some free baby gear for your little one — “baby shows” (typically hosted at a convention center), and maternity-wear stores.
Either attend one of these baby conventions in person to get your welcome “goody bag,” full of samples and coupons, or make a purchase from a participating maternity-wear store and check for the coupon codes in your “congratulations kit!”
Some of the free gear you can order include nursing covers, baby carrier slings, car seat covers, nursing pillows, and more! Do pay attention to some of these offers as you may need to pay shipping costs (which is still much cheaper than buying the item for full price).
8) Free Dr. Seuss Books
Many parents today think of children’s books and some of the first books that come to mind are the classic Dr. Seuss books.
These books are a great addition to any child’s home library, so why not take advantage of this great way to get some for free?
You can sign up for this buy 3, get 1 free subscription program using this link, where you’ll get 4 books for the price of one, with free shipping!
This company additionally also offers books from Baby Einstein and Sesame Street, plus many more, so you’re sure to build an incredible starting library for your child!
To see everything this program has to over, visit the EarlyMoments website.
9) Totally Free Breast Pump
If you intend on nursing your child, and especially if you’re going to be returning to work, you’re going to want to get a quality, reliable pump.
If you live in the United States, the Affordable Care Act made it possible to get a pump FOR FREE. All you may need is a “prescription” from your OB/GYN, and a visit to a medical supply store!
10) Hospital Freebies!
This will depend on exactly where you live and deliver your baby, but many hospitals put together care packages for new parents.
This can include diapers, suction bulbs for their noses, pacifier samples, bottles, etc. – the exact package will be determined by the hospital’s budget!
Our nurses told us that once they opened a package of disposable diapers for us to use, they generally didn’t save the rest for hygiene reasons (talk about a big waste of money!) so we took the rest of the package home with us to help keep them out of a landfill!
If you are planning on bottle feeding immediately from birth, you can also request small newborn (and even preemie) sized bottles to use that only hold an ounce or two, rather than needing to use a big 4-oz bottle with such a tiny and not yet very hungry baby!
Bonus: Ask around!
If you don’t know someone who has younger kids and no longer needs their baby gear, be bold and ask if you can have it!
Obviously, you wouldn’t ask this of someone you just met, but friends and family are often happy to have space back and you’ll save them the effort of selling it or the trip to the donation center! Ask friends and family to ask their friends and family, too!
Also check on online selling sites, such as Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. Many parents just want the baby stuff gone, ASAP!
Another option good, free is to share the gear if you’re lucky enough to have alternating ages of children. Use it for your kid, give them the infant gear when they’re expecting a brand new one, and they’ll give it back when your next bundle is coming! Now that’s savvy, especially if you can use your registries to “fill in the gaps!”
This was a guest post from Beau Mueller the founder of The Moneywise Teacher.