Many stay-at-home parents prefer working night jobs. This allows them to be available for their children during the day and can have some peace and quiet while they’re trying to get some work done.
Working a night job can also be beneficial for people trying to boost their income with a side hustle or second job. This way the hours don’t interfere with their day job.
No matter your situation, if you’re trying to find ways to turn your evening hours into an income, there are some great opportunities for you. Just be sure to read the details carefully before applying to these night jobs.
The hours and pay vary significantly from position to position, including possibly your required training hours. You don’t want to be unexpectedly surprised when asked to report for training while you’re working another job, so make sure you know what will be expected of you before you accept an offer.
Below are some of my favorite work from home night jobs you can start today.
Night Jobs To Consider This Year
A reputable company that frequently hires at-home workers. American Express occasionally hires people to work 2nd or 3rd shift. These positions might vary from a virtual team leader, overseeing a group of travel counselors, to customer service agents.
To find open opportunities with this company, head to their hiring website. Then, type “virtual” into the search bar. Available positions will appear, and you can sift through them quickly to see if any require nighttime hours.
If you enjoy working with children, you can tutor online to students around the world through a variety of companies. You need a Bachelor’s degree and some tutoring experience, and you’ll earn $15 – $22 per hour helping kids learn reading and mat skills.
Since you are able to set your own schedule with the majority of these companies, you can schedule classes for times that work best for you. This is often a perfect summer job for teachers!
Are you a pro at providing customer service or providing phone-based services? Are you friendly, organized, and self-motivated? Liveops hires independent contractors with these traits to provide support for a variety of companies from home.
Some of their opportunities are available 24/7, so you can work whenever you’re able. Other companies have peak hours during evening hours. Check out the details here on the Liveops opportunities overview, and see what would be the best fit for your skill set.
SigTrack might be right for you if you’re looking for a data entry gig that lets you set your own hours. With this particular job, you get paid for verifying and tagging signatures on petitions.
There is a learning curve, so expect your pay to be lower as you get used to the searching process and procedures of the company. Accuracy is key for data entry, so make sure you are verifying entry you make.
Providing outstanding customer service to a variety of companies is what Convergys does. In order to make it happen, they rely on work from home sales and service reps. Since many companies require customer support around the clock, there are a variety of hours available.
This company only hires within certain states, and you need to apply for the open position in the state where you reside. So when searching on their career page, make sure to type in “work from home” in the search bar, and sift through the results until you find the opening that matches your state.
Another company that’s staffed 24/7, Direct Interactions hires customer service representatives for different shifts. The available shifts will vary from time to time, so be sure to read the job descriptions carefully before applying. That way you don’t wind up interviewing for a position that requires hours you can’t work.
A landline telephone is required for this position, and you need to be available 30 hours a week, Monday through Friday.
World Travel Holdings
With shift work ranging from 6 a.m. to 1 a.m. EST, you have the potential to work only nights as a Customer Service Representative with World Travel Holdings. However, there is an initial six-week training period. Training time is 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST, so you would need daytime availability for training.
Once you’ve completed one schedule post-training, which will be between 12 p.m. and 12 a.m. EST, you move into the shift-bid process. Your schedule will change every quarter and will include nights, weekends, and holidays. This position would be a better fit for someone who has a bit more flexibility with their time, but prefers working at night. If you must work only evening hours, it’s probably not the role for you.
Embrace Your Inner Entrepreneur
If you want complete control over the hours you work, starting your own business is the way to go. You can work in the middle of the night after you put the kids to bed, or whenever you have time.
You won’t have a guaranteed paycheck as you would working for someone else, but if you’re ready to hustle there’s huge earning potential! Remember to schedule some time for marketing your new business. If no one knows about it, you won’t earn anything.
Here are five ideas for the perfect night-based business you could begin:
- Overnight Daycare: Many parents also work night shifts. But, there aren’t many daycares offering overnight services. If you are good with kids and can go through the process of setting up a legal daycare, this can provide a great service for your community.
- Blogging: If you’re looking for a long-term side hustle you can do at night, consider starting a blog.
- Self-Publisher: Is there a book inside you waiting to come out? You can earn write a book (or several) and self-publish them on Amazon. This is a great passive income project since you only have to write the book once and can then sell it over and over again.
- Offer Virtual Assistant Services: You can start your own Virtual Assistant business, and earn money helping other entrepreneurs clear their to-do list. Just make sure you’re up front about the hours you’ll be working so they don’t expect you to respond immediately to emails sent during the daytime.
- Freelance Writing: Your words are worth money! Content is king online these days, and businesses need writers. As long as you meet your deadlines, most clients won’t care if you’re writing in the middle of the night or the middle of the day, as long as you’re producing high-quality work.
- Flip Thrift Store Finds: If you’re someone who truly enjoys shopping, getting great deals (i.e. steals!), and has some time and space to buy and store a few items, then consider flipping those great-priced items for a profit! Take the kids to the thrift store during the day, or stop there on your way home from work, then after the family is in bed get them listed online. It’s that simple to start making money from your shopping trips!
Will you be putting your evenings to work with any of these opportunities?
BONUS: Our Favorite Flexible Side Hustles
Start a Money Making Blog: By far our favorite side hustle. Starting our blog allowed me to quit my job, make my own hours, and earn income on my own terms. Click here to learn how we made over $10,000 in a single month from our blog.
Facebook Side Hustle: Love being on Facebook? Why not earn money running ads for local business and get paid some serious cash in your spare time?
Paid Surveys: The perfect flexible side hustle to take advantage of the next time you veg out in front of the TV.
Start a Shopify Store: Want to make money in your sleep? Open up a Shopify store and start selling your products or services online.
Angie Nelson has been a virtual assistant and blogger since 2007 when she took her future into her own hands and found a way to escape the corporate cubicle farm. Today she shares her passion for all things making money from home on her blog The Work at Home Wife.